Sunday, May 19, 2013

Food

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD


Food and I have an extremely healthy relationship, if you were at all curious. I absolutely adore stuffing my face with sweet treats and wonderful savory meals. In fact, when there is food around, I just can't say no. I don't want to say no. Letting food go to waste isn't my style, to tell you the truth. There are so many people in third world countries who are forced to skip meals, due to poverty. I would feel very guilty if any food were to go to waste. So, to make up for their lack of food, I make sure to eat seconds and thirds when I'm at the buffet. I'm sure that they would be appreciative of my efforts, as they are so noble and kind.

Okay, okay... So that is not really how I feel. In all honesty, I would much rather give all my extra food to those who don't get enough food for their bellies. Instead of gorging myself whenever I sit down to a meal, due to bad emotional eating habits I have picked up over the years, I would much rather see other families be fed. I feel particularly guilty when I see how much food is wasted in the United States. Personally, I feel very selfish that I can eat food until I'm past a full belly. And unfortunately, eating that much is not an uncommon activity in my life. It is as if I live to eat instead of just eating to live.

Sure, it is fine to enjoy food. You could even become a food snob and that would be quite alright (KINDA :P). But becoming gluttonous, as I have, is not right. It's a real shame to witness when I am placed in a setting where an abundance of food is available. Just yesterday, I was at a women's conference at church, and the people in charge really spoiled us. Breakfast was served at 8 AM, snacks available during our breaks and then a dessert table suddenly appeared! Though I hate to say it, I ate way too much. My stomach grew three sizes that day. (Okay, that's a definite hyperbole but whenever you can make a 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' reference, you cannot ignore it). 

Instead of limiting myself, I felt the need to just keep eating because the food was there. I would see the food after eating a hearty snack, and although I had no hunger pains, I went back to pile up my plate again. It was certainly delicious, but I know that something is just not right with my habits. I eat when I'm bored, even when my stomach sends up a tiny white flag, screaming, "I surrender!" Despite it's clear refusal, I can't stop eating. It's like the food has put me in a trance. A scary, scary trance full of food that looks beautiful but they are really snacks that want to murder me! I'm blind to their murderous gazes, however, and befriend these little creatures. In fact, we have become best friends. 

I'm not sure if I like this relationship.

How can I be saved from overeating? I know the usual tips: drink more water, grab healthy snacks instead, or find a way to distract yourself. These don't work for me! I drink so much water during the day that I am going to the bathroom every five minutes. I love healthy snacks.... but what happens when I eat way too much of them? And distracting myself? Have YOU ever tried to distract yourself from the sinfully siren call of the Girl Scout cookies that call themselves Thin Mints? I would think not, if you are suggesting that I try to find an activity more desirable than eating Thin Mints. Or perhaps you have a good amount of willpower? Not everyone does, unfortunately, and I'm definitely someone who lacks that attribute.

No, these tips do not work for me. So I go on searching for ones that do. As of today, there hasn't been any luck... but not to fret, my darlings. A working tip is bound to show it's face eventually. At least, we hope that it will. I certainly hope that there is a light at the end of this chocolate covered tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment