Sunday, June 2, 2013

Advice

DO I LOOK LIKE 'DEAR ABBY' TO YOU?


Despite the rather harsh tone of my title, this isn't a post to bash the people that have come to me looking for advice. In all actuality, I rather enjoy helping those around me. (Though I am far from wise, at times I am capable of providing others with intelligent counsel). Yet, ever since I hit puberty, the problems my friends come to me with no longer deal with simple things like proper play time etiquette, or which outfit looks best on Barbie for a night out on the town. No, things have become more serious and they all stress a certain unbearable topic.
Love.

No matter how much we supposedly mature, it seems as though my friends can not talk about anything other than who is dating who, and what person they're currently crushing on. I'll admit it, I'm guilty of this as well. Alright, so that is quite the understatement. I'm VERY guilty, especially of the latter but no matter... The point of this blog post is not about who is the most annoying when it comes to relationship talk. (Though, I probably would take the cake if we were voting). The point of this blog is not to bash others, like I've said before, but in a way to bring to light all the silly things that I do when it comes to taking advice.

Now, I can be somewhat intelligent when it comes to other people's problems. I feel as if many of you probably feel the same way. It's easy to help a friend figure out the best plan of action when you are a completely unrelated third party who has no interest in the matter whatsoever (if you understand that reference, you're amazing). Even if you are part of the situation, just being able to take a step back while not being the center of drama is always helpful. And, when you are giving advice to someone you care about, you will typically try to find the best solution to their problems, because you want them to be as happy as possible.

When it comes to your own problems, it's easy to become lost in all the drama, feelings, stupid emotions and whatnot. Or maybe that's just me? When I have drama in my life (especially relationship drama), I tend to become a crazy person who has no idea where she is going with her life. I may have given my friend advice for a similar situation a few weeks ago, yet I cannot clear my brain enough to figure out what I should do for myself. It's pretty embarrassing, let me tell you. Hopefully I'm not the only person who has a hard time following my own advice. If I was, then I'd probably feel a lot sillier than I do now.

I see those around my being obsessed with love and I roll my eyes. Yet, when I'm given the chance to talk about my love life (or rather, lack of one), I won't shut up. I'm probably one of the most hypocritical people when it comes to this issue. However, admitting the problem is the first step to overcoming it. SO, with that being said, I either A) Need to stop being so annoyed at others for their silliness when it comes to romantic relationships, or B) learn to cool my jets when it comes to talking about my own. Or even just forget about romantic endeavors for good. Yes, the latter sounds absolutely divine... but also pretty difficult. 

 I just don't want to be like the people who come to me for advice, yet I know I fall into the same habits. They complain about being single when honestly, this is the best time in life to do the things that you want without having to worry about what anyone else thinks. They go to insane lengths to get a significant other, even if it means pretending to be someone they're not. When they are around people of the opposite gender, they do just that-- become someone they're not. While talking to people, they always try to make the conversation about their problems and their relationships. 

I know that I am guilty of ALL of these things, so if you happen to be reading and say, "Is she talking about me? Because I do those things...," it could be true. However, this post is not to make you feel bad, like I said above. I do the same exact things... and I'm sure most people in this world do them to. Yet, I would like to make some new habits and be a listener, not a talker (which is going to be SUPER difficult for me), I would like to be happy with my single life (which is slightly less difficult), and I want to be someone who focuses on important issues... not just about issues that deal with the opposite gender. Finding love is not the most important thing in life, although society has made it seem that way. In a world where finding a "mate" is not necessary for survival any longer, we can easily go and enjoy being ourselves. We don't have to please one another... we should just do the things we love and find ways to make ourselves happy!

1 comment:

  1. So true haha. I found myself agreeing with virtually everything you said.

    ReplyDelete